Dreamstime

Friday, 31 July 2026

When The Camera Focuses On The Wrong Thing

Makeshift sunshade

Some photographs stay with us not because they are technically perfect, but because they capture a moment that is impossible to recreate. A few months ago, I spotted a Gardenia bread delivery man walking under the blazing Malaysian afternoon sun. Instead of carrying the empty plastic bread basket normally, he had lifted it over his head, using it as a makeshift sunshade. It was one of those wonderfully human moments - practical, slightly amusing, and instantly relatable to anyone who has experienced our tropical heat.

Everything seemed to come together. The composition looked just right. The timing was perfect. I raised my Canon 800D, pressed the shutter, and thought I had captured a stock-worthy image.

Only later, when I reviewed the photo on my computer, did I discover the disappointment. The camera had focused on the motorbike in the background instead of the delivery man. The subject was noticeably soft.

For stock photography, that is usually the end of the story. Stock agencies expect the main subject to be critically sharp, especially when the subject is clearly identifiable. A missed focus like this would almost certainly lead to rejection, no matter how interesting the scene.

It was frustrating because moments like these cannot be staged. I can't simply ask a delivery worker to repeat what he naturally did for just a few seconds. The opportunity had come and gone.

But after staring at the image for a while, I began to see it differently. As a stock photo, it probably fails. As a street photograph, perhaps it still succeeds.

Street photography has never been solely about technical perfection. Some of the world's most memorable street photographs contain motion blur, heavy grain, awkward framing, or imperfect focus. What gives them value is the story they tell and the emotion they evoke.

When I look at this image now, my eyes are still drawn to the delivery man shielding himself from the harsh afternoon sun with an empty bread basket. The slightly blurred subject almost gives the impression of movement, reminding me that this was a fleeting, unscripted moment rather than a carefully arranged scene.

Would the photograph have been stronger if the focus had landed perfectly on him?

Without question.

Does the missed focus completely ruin the image?

I'm no longer convinced that it does.

Perhaps that's one of the interesting differences between stock photography and street photography. Stock photography often rewards technical precision because buyers need clean, versatile images. Street photography, on the other hand, often rewards observation. A compelling story can sometimes outweigh a technical flaw.

Of course, this isn't an excuse to ignore proper focusing. If anything, this photo reminds me to be more careful with autofocus settings and to react more quickly when photographing fast-changing scenes. Every missed shot is a lesson.

Still, I'm glad I pressed the shutter.

I'd rather have an imperfect photograph of a memorable moment than no photograph at all.

Maybe this image won't earn me a stock sale.

But it has earned a place in my collection as a reminder that photography isn't always about perfection. Sometimes it's simply about noticing the small, everyday moments that most people walk past without a second glance.

And perhaps that's enough.





Buy Canon Powershot SX530 HS from Amazon.com

(Note: An Amazon.com affiliate link)


0 comments:

Post a Comment