Dreamstime

Monday 17 December 2012

V2CRS Does Not Like Windows System Restore

I do not really need a user login account for my Pentium Dual Core computer that I use for TV captures. Security is not a concern as I am practically the only user on this PC. But I have a need to use V2CRS for scheduling my VirtualDub TV recordings. And one of the requirements of V2CRS is that it needs a user login account with a password.

Windows Scheduled Tasks
Windows Scheduled Tasks

In the documentation of V2CRS, there is no mention of what the user login account should be. So I just create an account called "user" (with administrative privileges) that requires a password to login. Since I can use V2CRS to schedule and record without any problems, I did not give much thought to this after that. I thought everything was alright. That is until when I did a "Restore my computer to an earlier time" via the Windows System Restore. Some, but not all, of my scheduled V2CRS task will not launch. A look into the Windows Scheduled Tasks window, which V2CRS actually uses to schedule the task, shows a status of "Could Not Start" next to the task.

I am not certain as to why this is happening. My suspicion is with the name of the login user account "user" that I use to schedule V2CRS tasks. I find it strange that when I peek into the Windows Scheduled Tasks list, the tasks that I have created via V2CRS have a creator name of "V2CRS". But there is no user login account called "V2CRS"! In fact, there are only two login accounts - "user" and "guest".

Error Message From V2CRS

As I have only a handful of V2CRS tasks, I decided to just jot down the list of my tasks (just a print screen and save into a JPEG image using MS Paint actually), and to go through each task to see if I can edit and make parameter changes to the task (to the value of "Wakeup- Delay" for example). Problematic tasks will give an error message of "Please enter a username!" in a dialog box called "V2CRS: Add/Edit task" when saving the edits. All I have to do then is to just delete this task and to recreate it again.

It is a good thing that I do not perform a System Restore often. I have thought of renaming the user account "user" to "V2CRS" but I did not get round to doing it. The thought of performing all the steps in testing it out and all bogs me down. Well, maybe one day. At the moment this is just a thorn in my side.

0 comments:

Post a Comment