Dreamstime

Friday 25 October 2013

My Picture Uploads To Picasa Web Got Modified

My Picture Upload To Picasa Web

The same picture file. One gets uploaded to Picasa Web (picture above) and the other to Flickr (picture below). Can you see the difference?

My Picture Upload To Flickr

The picture that was uploaded to Flickr looks identical to what I have on my computer. But my upload to Picasa Web was not. It got modified somewhere during the upload. It became brighter and as a consequence it looks grainier, and it looks terrible. I was horrified! Definitely not what I wanted.

I first made my upload to Picasa Web via "Picasa 3 Desktop". I made sure that the upload option was set to "Image size - Original size" in the "Upload and share on Google+" dialog box. But I ended up with the first picture above. I then tried uploading at my Picasa Web web-page via the Opera web browser. But I ended up with that grainy picture upload also.

In the end, I just gave up and uploaded my picture to Flickr.

Here is another set of pictures that I have uploaded to Picasa Web and Flickr.

First the picture that was uploaded to Picasa Web - it looks brighter and slightly grainier around the dark green leaves.

My Second Picture Upload To Picasa Web

And the uploaded picture at Flickr - no change; as how it be.

My Second Picture Upload To Flickr





4 comments:

  1. I have noticed the same effect with my images uploaded to Picasaweb. It seems to have started several weeks ago. I came across your blog via a Google search 'picasaweb modifies uploaded images'. I sincerely hope Google resolves this, SOON.
    John M.
    picasaweb.google.com/dudleydocker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment John M - you have a nice gallery there at Picasa Web.

      It was not mentioned in my blog post but I actually did try uploading via Google+ too. Unfortunately, it got modified as well.

      Delete
  2. If you already have a Google+ account, you may be able to turn off the auto-enhance 'feature'. See this link on the Google forum..
    http://productforums.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!category-topic/picasa/picasa-web-albums/LA1E9CIsytU
    Hope that helps your problem. I am considering moving my image to FLickr, although I really liked the simplicity of PicasaWeb before the 'enhancements' were forced on us. They are destroying my images.

    John M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the updates John M. I do have a Google+ account. However, it seems a bit tedious just to turn an option on or off. I use Picasa Web mostly for uploading my pictures, mostly screen shots from my PC desktop (where quality doesn't matter), to my blog. With this change at Picasa Web, my digital camera photos will now go to Flickr.

      Delete