Dreamstime

Friday 29 August 2014

Disabling Google+ Comments On Blogger

I should have given it more thought before enabling Google+ comments on my blog. The problem with this feature is that once enabled, a Google+ profile or page is required before any comments can be made on my blog. Anonymous and non-Google+ user comments are disallowed. With Google+ Comments enabled, I would expect some future comments to be loss as I actually have a few Anonymous user comments on my blog itself. This is definitely something that I do not want.

I spent something like 2 hours looking for a way to disable Google+ Comments on my blog. The answer is actually there at Google+ Comments FAQs but unfortunately it is not that obvious to me. A separate heading on "How to remove Google+ Comments on Blogger" in the FAQs would have been a much better idea.

Uncheck the option "Use Google+ Comments on this blog" to disable Google+ Comments

To disable Google+ Comments, all that is actually needed to be done is to uncheck the option "Use Google+ Comments on this blog" under the "Google+" option on the Blogger dashboard. Be warned though. As stated in the Google+ Comments FAQs under the heading "What happens if I disable Google+ Comments?", any comments made by Google+ users during the time when this feature was enabled will disappear. Luckily I do not have any as I have enabled Google+ Comments for less than 24 hours. Comments made before this feature was enable will remain though. Mine is still there, I can confirm that (SPAMS still there in my Comments-Spam folder).

Google+ Comments will remain disabled for the time being on my blog. I will reconsider it if they could at least retain the default commenting system on Blogger. Google+ Comments should have been made an additional feature to Blogger. It should not be exclusive.









2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your informative post. The screenshot was very helpful to identify where to disable the google plus comments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Abeesh Thomas. I'm glad that you find my blog post useful.

      Delete