Dreamstime

Tuesday 30 December 2014

The Black Bird Of December - Asian Koel

Asian Koel

While growing up at the place where I now live, the only black bird that I know of are Crows. I get to see these Crows almost everyday when they fly, as they still do now, from South to North in the mornings and in the reverse direction come evenings, squawking as they fly slowly up high overhead.

These days, there is another rather big black bird, a migrant bird in fact, that comes visiting only in the month of December - 10th December to be exact for this year. They are the Asian Koel. I think they are quite common in the coastal areas. But up to about 30 or even 20 years ago, I don't think I have ever heard or even seen one before. I wonder why and when did they decided to move inland?

The most distinct feature that one can immediately identify with this bird, apart from its black plumage, is its call. They are loud. Very loud in fact - I think one can hear their calls a mile away. Dreadful if they were to do this at the break of dawn. Worse if they are next to one's bedroom window. Atrocious if two or more birds starts responding to each other, as they sometimes do.

With their black plumage, Asian Koel does look like Crows at first glance. But they are in fact smaller and slimmer in size. My dog will get intimidated by the sight of Crows, or any other large bird. But with an Asian Koel, my dog is unperturbed despite the loud calls.

Asian Koel are brood parasites. They will lay their eggs in the nests of other birds, like Crows and Common Mynas, and then expecting the host to take care of their young after hatching from the egg. The population of the Common Mynas are not that plentiful any more these days as compared to the past. I wonder if this has anything to do with the appearance of Asia Koels when they moved inland in recent years.










0 comments:

Post a Comment