Dreamstime

Friday 10 July 2015

My Contribution To The 2015 MY Garden Birdwatch Survey

The table below is my contribution to this year's MY Garden Birdwatch Survey. I did my counting on 20th June 2015, between 4:00 PM and 4:30 PM from my bedroom windows upstairs. This is my fourth year of participation. Yeah! Me a citizen scientist.

A Jungle Myna

On That Day

Loud chattering at my front gate led me to catch sight of 2 Jungle Mynas. They are not common visitors to my home. So I guess a little bird must have told them about this year's birdwatch survey that I am conducting and they did not want to be left out.

I am quite certain that there are at least 2 Yellow-vented Bulbul around my home. But unfortunately, I only spotted just one. Pity really. I have seen them raised their chicks before on the fence and bushes around my house.

The Brown-throated Sunbird seems to be attracted to my Hibiscus plant out by the front gate. They usually come around mid-mornings. But lucky me - I heard one chirping and managed to spot it. Cute bird. I used to think that they were humming birds, which obviously they were not.

3 Zebra Doves were spotted walking closely together on the front lawn under the Durian tree. In previous years, I have mistaken them as juvenile Spotted Doves because of their smaller size - silly me.

Missing Birds

Bee-eaters (I think they were Chestnut-Headed Bee-eaters) seems to have taken a liking to my neighbourhood in recent weeks. In previous years, they can be seen for a brief period of time only in certain months. For the last couple of weeks though, I can hear them flying overhead everyday, in both mornings and evenings, in a flock of about 8 in number. Unfortunately, non decided to pop in while I was conducting my survey. I think they usually hangout at the nearby football field, which is about 100 meters away from my house. A few weeks back, I saw one, definitely a Chestnut-Headed, swooped down on what looks like a dragonfly while I was walking across the said football field.

Black-naped Oriole and White-throated Kingfishers, both very common birds around my home, only appeared about an hour later after I finished my survey. So they were not counted. Sorry guys. Those are the rules.

Asian Koel - they should have migrated away by now but they can be heard screaming their lungs out on the 21st of June. I didn't see any on the 20th.

My Survey Results

Bird Name Count
1. Asian Glossy Starling 0
2. Brown-throated Olive-backed Sunbird 1
3. Common Myna 4
4. Common Tailorbird 0
5. Eurasian Tree Sparrow 5
6. Jungle Myna 2
7. Oriental Magpie 0
8. Rock Pigeon 7
9. Spotted Dove 2
10. Yellow-vented Bulbul 1
11. Zebra Dove 3










0 comments:

Post a Comment