Dreamstime

Friday 20 May 2016

Getting Xiaomi Mi 4i Detected On Windows XP

I have spent about 4 days working on this. So, I suppose it is worthy of me writing it down somewhere so that I won't have to slog through the whole process again.

Phone Not Detected

Someone in my household bought a new Xiaomi Mi 4i smartphone 2 months ago. Great phone at a great price, by the way. Being quite popular here in Asia, the last thing I would have thought is to have problems in getting this phone connected to Windows XP. The recommended way, I presume, was to install "Mi PC Suite" since the setup program was already included in the phone. But upon successfully installing "Mi PC Suite", Mi 4i was undetectable. No connection to Windows XP means no file transfers between the PC and the phone.

Mi 4i Device Drivers

Windows Explorer With The Xiaomi Mi 4i Device Detected On Windows XP

After working frantically for 4 days, and trying out various drivers, I am glad to say that I finally got the phone connected to Windows XP in the end. As far as I could tell, there were no problems with the transferred files. The file system and transferred files on the phone shows no sign of being corrupted.

"Mi PC Suite" still DOES NOT work unfortunately. But that was not our main objective, so I did not pursue this further. Windows XP still complains about some missing "USB Driver" though whenever this phone is plugged into the PC. This, I guess, is probably the missing piece that "Mi PC Suite" requires in order to get it working. But where can I download this driver?

Setup Instructions

Below are the steps that I took to get Mi 4i connected to Windows XP. Credit should go to the individuals that posted their ideas to the XiaoMi forum - and not me since; all I did was to just collate the pieces together.

  1. Download the file Microsoft.zip as mentioned in this posts http://en.miui.com/thread-52226-1-1.html. Sign-in is required, by the way, so do register if you have not done so already.

  2. Unzip the downloaded file from Step (1) into a directory/folder.

    • Run umdf.exe.

    • Run wmfdist11.exe

  3. Download the file Xiaomi Note MTP.rar as mentioned in this post http://en.miui.com/thread-34384-1-1.html.

  4. Unzip/un-rar the downloaded file from Step (3) into another directory that is different from Step (1). Plug-in the Mi 4i phone to your PC. When Windows XP prompts for driver installation:

    • Select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)". Click on the "Next" button;

    • Select "Search for the best drivers in these locations". Check the option "Include this location in the search:". Click on the "Browse" button and select the path to the unzipped/un-rar-ed directory/folder for "Xiaomi Note MTP.rar". Click on the "Next" button.

With any luck, you should see your Mi 4i device in "Windows Explorer" as depicted in the picture above.





0 comments:

Post a Comment