Dreamstime

Thursday 30 June 2016

Lemon Pansy Butterfly

Lemon Pansy Showing Its Upperside Wing

I think it was earlier this year when I tried photographing this butterfly, a Lemon Pansy. I failed despite me chasing it around the front yard from one spot to another for something like an hour under the hot and sunny 11 o'clock morning sun.

But taking the picture above a little over a week ago was a bit unchallenging. The butterfly did flutter about while I was walking around in the backyard. But then when it settled down on a leaf and me approaching it with my camera, it was rather tranquil. Not sure why - perhaps the rather 'cooler' weather has something to do with it during those few days (weather is a bit crazy these days by the way). I did manage to take about 10 closeup shots in the end. My camera was about 1 feet away from the butterfly in all attempts. The lighting was not ideal for my pocket camera though but still the pictures turned out okay.

Just how I like it when photographing butterflies: wings outstretched to display their colours and patterns on the upper-side.

In Contrast

It was a different story though yesterday. The weather changed a few days ago: sunnier, hotter and dryer. This same species of butterfly (who knows, it could be the very same one) was avoiding me when approached. All I could manage was the picture below. Never mind, at least I have a picture of its underside too. And that is useful information when it comes to identifying butterflies..

Lemon Pansy With Folded Wing Showing Its Underside

0 comments:

Post a Comment