Dreamstime

Sunday 27 June 2021

My Contribution To The 2021 MY Garden Birdwatch Survey

Pacific Swallow On Wire

The annual MY Garden Birdwatch Survey was held this year on the 5th and 6th June, 2021. As in previous years, I did my count from my home, starting from 7:51 A.M. till 8:21 A.M.

As usual, not all the birds species around my home were accounted for - the Black Crows, for example. There's nothing much I could do as I have to follow the rules that have been laid out.

My Bird Count Results

Bird Name Count
1. Asian Glossy Starling 1
2. Olive-backed Sunbird 0
3. Common Myna 0
4. Common Tailorbird 0
5. Eurasian Tree Sparrow 2
6. Jungle Myna 2
7. Oriental Magpie Robin 6
8. Rock Pigeon 1
9. Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker 0
10. Spotted Dove 0
11. White-throated Kingfisher 0
12. Yellow-vented Bulbul 2
13. Zebra Dove 1
14. Pied Fantail 1
15. Pacific Swallow 1



The Last 12 Months

Some of the birding events around my neighbourhood during the last 12 months:

  • This is the first time I managed to photography (and counted one too) a Pacific Swallow. There are many of them (together with Swiftlets) flying around the neighbourhoods in the mornings. But this is the first time I managed to have a good look at one.

    I wonder why the one that I have photograph has a white beak?

  • Just like last year, there are not that many Spotted and Zebra Doves this year too. I passed by a pet shop a couple of weeks ago and saw many of these Doves being caged up. I wonder if this is the reason behind the decline in their numbers in the wild - in my neighbourhood at least.

  • Counted 6 Oriental Magpie Robin this year. Some are juveniles. There is a high likelihood they that are all from within the same family.
  • The Brahminy Kites, they are gone. I don't see them anymore these days, chased away by a flock of Black Crows, I think.

  • Some Black Crows have taken up residence around my neighbourhood. I didn't see any during the count but I counted 3 yesterday evening.




0 comments:

Post a Comment