Dreamstime

Tuesday 19 April 2022

A Good Combination: Budget DAC + Fosi Pre-amp Tube-P1

The aim was to improve the audio playback quality of my existing hi-fi. The objective was to upgrade my budget DAC.

But believe it or not, I achieved my goal in the end by getting myself a budget friendly "Made In China" tube pre-amp instead, the Fosi Audio Tube-P1. The cost: about ⅛ of the price of a mid-range DAC.

Fos iAudio Tube-P1 Preamp

With this pre-amp, my hi-fi audio experience is much better now. I can hear a lot of improvement. More rumbling bass, more thumping drums, better sound-stage and much better clarity. And mind you, I am just using the stock vacuum tubes that was included in the box, the China made 6K4. I don't think I will be upgrading to the GE5654 tubes. My ears are telling me that these 6K4 tubes are good enough. They are quite economical too.

Now, I have never owned nor have I experienced listening to mid-range or high-end DACs before. I'm sure these products can give much better sounding audio playback. But I do not have deep pockets. So, this Fosi Audio pre-amp addition will just have to do for now. For me at least.

Setting up the set was easy. It was just a matter of plugging in the tubes, attaching the power adapter to the power socket and pre-amp. And then hooking up the RCA cables to relevant boxes. All in all, I did not encounter any problems, nor were there any audible distortion coming out from this setup.

This is what I have at the moment:

Samsung Galaxy Tab A → ifi Zen BlueFosi Audio Tube-P1SMSL AD18Dali Spektor 2 speakers

For someone coming from the lower-end of the hi-fi spectrum, this is the best sounding system that I have ever had. The best part is, it didn't cost me much. And yes, this playback is via Bluetooth all the way from, starting from the Samsung Galazy Tab A.

Why Fosi Audio?

FX Audio, Aiyima and a host of other "Made In China" tube pre-amps. But why did I choose Fosi ?

The return policy - that's the pull factor that sucked me in. That is what it says on their product page on Lazada Malaysia:

"15 Days Return - Don't want item or it doesn't suit me" return reason is applicable.

Essentially a "try before you buy" from my understanding. Totally risk free. Nothing to lose.

There was no such return policy for the other brands on all the online selling platforms that I looked at. Sorry guys. Next time yah!



0 comments:

Post a Comment