Dreamstime

Monday 18 June 2012

Error While Copying A 5.43GB File To A Flash Drive

Misleading Error Message

I tried to copy a 5.43GB file into my 8GB flash drive and I received this error message:

"The disk in the destination drive is full.
Insert new disk to continue
."

"Copy" Error Message

Followed by another error message:

"Cannot copy <filename>: There is not enough free disk space.
Delete one or more files to free disk space, and then try again.
"

"Error Copying File Or Folder" Error Message

There was about 6GB free on the flash drive. So being anxious, I proceded to delete all files and directory from the flash drive to free up more space. The same 2 error messages mentioned above reappeared again when I tried to copy the 5.43GB file to my flash drive. After trying for a couple of minutes, I gave up.

It was only a few hours later that I remembered a flash drive uses the FAT32 file system, and the maximum file size on a FAT32 file system is 4GB. There is no way that a file with size that is greater than 4GB can be successfully copied into a FAT32 formatted flash drive. So much for that rather misleading error messages.

Chopping It Up

7-Zip Add To Archive Dialog Box
7-Zip Add To Archive Options

As a work around, I decided to use the free 7-zip file archiver to split the large file into 700MB chunks. WinRar and WinZip have similar functions and can be used too. I set the 7-zip Compression level to "Store" (ie. no compression) to speed things up a bit. I set the Archive format to Zip as it is one of the most common archive file format. What I get in the end are 8 zip files that I then copied successfully into my flash drive.

I could have tried reformating the flash drive to use an NTFS file system but this is not recommended due to excessive writes that will wear out the flash drive faster.

0 comments:

Post a Comment