Dreamstime

Saturday 31 January 2015

Mentioning Someone From Google+ Mobile

+Mention-ing someone in a Google+ post or comment is a neat way of grabbing someone's attention; whether to ask them a question, to give them credit or just simply to thank them. When we +Mention someone, a link will be created between our post or comment and the person mentioned. A notification will also be sent to the person mentioned.

Call me weird but I have always liked accessing Google+ (Facebook too in fact) via its mobile site on my Windows desktop PC. Google+ pages on the mobile site just loads faster compared to its desktop version because of its minimal bandwidth requirement. But there was one problem - I had never found a way to +Mention someone from Google+ Mobile. This has subsequently led me to wrongly assume that it was not possible to +Mention someone from Google+ Mobile. But after something like 2 years, I have finally found a way. I accidentally stumbled upon this workaround about a week ago when I clicked on the About page of MacroAddict on Google+.

I have tested it out by Google+ mentioning myself in a test post and found that it actually works. I have tested it on Google+ Mobile running under both Opera desktop (just remember to use the URL for Google+ Mobile: https://plus.google.com/app/basic/stream) and Opera Mini. I guess I must have not looked hard enough previously.

The Steps To +Mention Someone

The Google+ Numeric ID Is Found At the URL Address

To Google+ mention someone in a post or comment, just type '+' followed by the person's Google+ numeric ID (A Google+ profile custom URL will not work; it must be a Google+ numeric ID).

As an example, to +Mention me, just type the following in a post or comment:

+112449492474426928416

Upon posting, Google+ will replace the numeric ID with the user's profile name:

+T.C. Chuah

To obtain a person's Google+ numeric ID, just go to the person's Google+ profile page by clicking on its name in a post or comment for example. On a desktop web browser just right-click and copy the link address. The URL for the profile page should look something like this:

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/112449492474426928416

Here, the numeric numbers in RED is the Google+ numeric ID.

Note: In Opera Mini, if a user has a custom URL, the numeric ID will be overwritten upon loading the user's profile page. What I do in this case is to click on the user's name again and then quickly clicking on the URL address bar of Opera Mini before it gets overwritten.

Happy Google+ Mention-ing!










0 comments:

Post a Comment