Dreamstime

Monday 5 October 2015

A Brief Update On Picasa And RavenPlus

Python & XML By Christopher A. Jones & Fred L. Drake, Jr. Just a quick note to say that I am still working on the Picasa upload function (via the OAuth2 authentication) in RavenPlus.

To say the least, I am struggling; struggling with XML processing in Python. All this while, I have been avoiding this subject area as it looks complicating. After spending a couple of days on this, it still is. I am not at all familiar with XML processing in Python or in any other computer programming language. There is a 357 pages book written on this topic, but this is something that is not easily digestible in a short time. Hands-on work through the examples in the book is required.

The Google Picasa API part is easy, thanks to an example Python script that found off the Internet. In fact, I managed to upload a few pictures to Picasa web via my own customised Python script with OAuth2 authentication. The problem now is in saving the uploaded picture file's meta-data (the information that is returned from Picasa web) into RavenPlus. Not getting this meta-data into the RavenPlus' Picasa registry means RavenPlus is unaware of the successful picture upload.

10 comments:

  1. Hello T,C.
    I'm sorry for you! I can't believe that you have to read 357 pages!!!!

    THANKS for all you are doing for us!!

    And PIcasa is really good, Flickr is not working very well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I am trying not to read the whole book, if I can help it.

      The problem I am facing at the moment is between what the Google Picasa API (GData) returns (the meta-data) and what that is expected by the 'Picasa provider' module in Raven+. GData processes the meta-data into a format that 'Picasa provider' can't understand.

      The best and easiest solution, in my opinion, is to modify the GData programming code to not do any processing with the meta-data.

      Delete
    2. If you do this (modify the GData programming code):

      1) what will be the difference between the last Raven and your future Raven?

      2) If you do this, can you have Picasa working in a short time? If the answer is yes, please do it!!!. If the difference between the last Raven and your future Raven is a lost very important maybe you can fix it in a future, but meantime we have Picasa working.

      I hope you can understand my bad English! :)

      Delete
    3. I intend to keep things as close as possible to how it was before. I can't give you an expected time frame as I do not know myself. Everything is all experimental.

      I have actually tried another 'easier' method before this but it was leading me nowhere, despite spending many days working on it. GData reformatted what that was sent from Picasa Web into something that became very different. Technically they are identical (from what I found out) but my knowledge of XML is rather limited to import this data back into Raven+.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for write and explain your work. Thanks for fix Picasa,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Juan. I need all the support that I could get.

      Delete
  3. Hi T.C.!!!
    I'm glad to hear that you're working in Picasa, but I´m sad for you for the hard work with GData :(

    Thanks for all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hola. It's just part of the job.

      Delete
  4. Hello Chuah!
    Are you still working in Picasa? I have too much problems with Flickr.
    I have 12 blogs and I really need Picasa!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am still working on getting Picasa to work with Raven+. Unfortunately, I do not have much free time lately. So please be patient.

      Delete