Dreamstime

Thursday 25 February 2016

A 'Newborn' Tawney Coster Butterfly

Tawney Coster Butterfly Basking Under The Sun (click to enlarge)

Perhaps I should have waited a little longer. Perhaps I should have hung around for another 30 minutes. But I didn't. The afternoon tropical heat was just unbearable. And I do have an umbrella with me at that time, by the way. So what happened is that I missed the chance of observing this butterfly, a Tawny Coster, taking flight for the first time since breaking out from its pupa.

The picture above is of the said butterfly taken at around high noon. I think the hind-wings will turn more orangy in colour as it dries, much like the fore-wings in this picture. At least that is how a Tawny Coster butterfly that I know of looks like.

A 'newborn' Tawney Coster Butterfly (click to enlarge)

Another Miss

I missed the chance of witnessing it breaking out from its pupa too, something that I had been anticipating for days. It was only by chance that I noticed a butterfly basking on a branch, unperturbed by human activity nearby, while I was on my way out buying lunch. The picture that I have captured is as shown above, taken a 11:34 A.M. in the morning. Note the skin (that whitish little thing with black stripes dotted with a series of small yellowish spots along the sides) which the butterfly just broke out from at the bottom of the picture, still attached to the branch. Strange as it is, but there were no activity nor anything out of the ordinary compared to the previous day when I took a peek at the pupa earlier in that morning.

But never mind. There is always a next-time.










0 comments:

Post a Comment