Dreamstime

Friday 22 April 2016

Freelance Software Testers Beware

Last Monday 18th April 2016, there was an online job posting looking for freelance software testers. This was what the ad says:

Looking for someone to test my application called "Crush Clean" its a Simple app to clean your desktop Please just open the application test it and tell me what happens and payment will be made Thanks

Baited

Sounds simple enough. So I proceeded to download the attachment, a Windows executable compressed in a ZIP file, without much thought.

I updated my anti-virus scanner, scanned the downloaded file and it appears to be 'clean'. Everything looks good.

I loaded it up in my Windows 7 test environment running under VirtualBox. I then ran the application from the command line. There was nothing much to see, much less to report: it just 'terminated' as soon as I press the <ENTER> key - no window or anything admire.

The Malware CrushClean2016.exe Running In The Background

I launched the "Windows Task Manager", clicked on the "Processes" Tab and there it was resident in the system's memory. It seems to spawn a sub-process (which then terminates almost immediately) every 5 seconds or so. Good, now I have something to write about and so I submitted my proposal and reported what I saw.

Checking on proposal's status some 24 hours later, I realised I was rejected. No payment was made to me whatsoever despite what was stated in the ad.

Suspicious Mind

I didn't think much about it. But two days later on Wednesday I got this uneasy feeling about the whole thing. Therefore, I updated my anti-virus scanner again (something that I do everyday, anyway), and did another scan on the downloaded file - POW! positive for a trojan/malware called "TR/Dropper.MSIL.yjxm".

Do I have spidey senses? Nah... But (ex-)system administrator instinct perhaps. Shame on me. I should have known better. How did I fell for this ad in the first place?

This trojan was so new that my anti-virus scanner was unaware of it during the update two days earlier. Good thing I did my testing in a controlled environment. Damage was minimal. I just reformat the partition and reinstall Windows 7 again. Just a scratch, no big deal.

Incidentally, I was not the only person who submitted the proposal. There were 55 other freelancers in total from what I could see. I wonder if they are aware that their PC is already infected with a malware? I hope they did their testing under a test machine or in a virtual machine like I did.

I did inform the freelance job posting website but when I last checked the job advertisement together with that malware attachment is still there. Oh well. We just have to keep our guards up at all times I suppose.










0 comments:

Post a Comment