Dreamstime

Thursday 11 August 2016

My Friendly Neighbourhood Monitor Lizard

A Juvenile Water Monitor Lizard (click to enlarge)

Measuring about a foot and a half in length (from head to the end of its tail), this juvenile Water Monitor Lizard is making itself comfortable in my backyard. It first came to my attention about 2 months ago when I saw this cold-blooded reptile basking under the morning sun, warming its body up for the day.

I don't have any problems with Monitors in general as they are non-aggressive, either towards me or my ducks and chickens. But the problem is, when they have reached adulthood, they can be rather large in size which makes them look rather menacing - although they are not, as far as I know. Their long sharp talons though, can be quite dangerous, according to some wildlife documentaries that I have seen. But I should be safe as long as I do not provoke or attempt to catch one with my bare hands.

A Nuisance

Once, many years ago, a big Monitor managed to find its way up to my room upstairs. Without actually witnessing it myself, the only logical path that it could take, and I could think of, is that it crawled in through the sewage pipes (Urgh!) which actually connects to the monsoon drain outside.

At another time, a few months ago actually, I had a juvenile Monitor peeking its head through the drain outlet in my bathroom upstairs.

These incidents have since stopped, luckily, after I have stuffed chicken-wires, which act as barriers, at the ends of the drains and sewage pipes.

Taking This Picture

The picture above was taken while this young Monitor was feasting on some food that I have given to my ducks and chickens. A rather peculiar choice of diet I think. A snack perhaps when there are no insects around.

Sometimes this little fella will scoot when it sees me approaching; sometimes it won't. I was rather lucky on this particular day; it stayed long enough for me to take a couple of shots with my camera (I was about 3 feet away).

Now, if only I were an exotic pet keeper.


0 comments:

Post a Comment