Dreamstime

Monday 12 September 2016

Turmeric Flowers - Take Two

I always get excited when any of my turmeric plants produces flowers. I like them as I think they are dazzlingly beautiful.

I had two separate blooms last year from two separate plants in two separate pots - one in May and the other in December. Here are some pictures of my turmeric flowers taken during those two months. Armed with a better camera, and hopefully with some improvement in my photography skills, these pictures are definitely much better compared to the ones I took 2 years ago.

Close-up

But first, a close-up view on the crest of a turmeric flower that I took in May 2015. I just love those tinge of pink at the very top. Each flower is different though; sometimes there is no pink tinge.

I didn't take note but I believe this is from a 4 or 5 day old bloom.

The Crest Of A Turmeric Flower



An Almost Detailed Account

Here are some pictures that was taken on December 2015. Not shown are wilted flowers (who wants to look at them anyway?) - a process that will begin some 7 days later after blooming.

I had every intention to take daily pictures of this particular flower in December but unfortunately I was absentminded. I believe though I have managed to record down some of the key events during this flower's life-cycle. Each life-cycle is about 14 days long from what I could see.

Day One

Turmeric Flower - Day 1

What started off as a bulge on the side of the plant soon produced a bloom a few days later. The whole flower was mostly light green initially, but the very top began to turn white, with some tinge of pink sometimes, on each passing day.


Day 3

Turmeric Flower - Day 3 (side view)

The 3 day old flower - side view.

Turmeric Flower - Day 3 (top view)
The 3 day old flower - top view


Day 4

Turmeric Flower - Day 4

Little florets will begin to appear on day 4, usually at around the bottom half of the flower. Beautiful as they are but, unfortunately, they last for no more that 24 hours. Florets will come and go on each passing day on different petals right until the end of the flower's life-cycle. On certain days there may be none.



Close-up Of A Floret

A close-up of one of the floret. Looks like snake's fangs there.




2 comments:

  1. What a coincidence! I posted about turmeric and you posted on turmeric flower. This is my first time seeing a turmeric flower! Beautiful flower. I hope my turmeric will bloom too. Looks like I have to wait for them to flower before I harvest them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We surely did. You might want to keep an extra pot or 2 to up your chances if you want flowering turmerics. From experience, sometimes a turmeric plant might not bloom. Don't know why.

      Delete