Dreamstime

Sunday 15 October 2017

Resuscitating My 40 Year Old Clock

40 Year Old Transistor Clock

Good thing my father wrote down the date of purchase behind this transistor clock. Otherwise, I wouldn't know how old this clock was. I still vividly remember the day when my father purchased it some 40 years ago from a shop selling clocks and watches at Ipoh old-town.

This clock has been working fine all this while. But last month it stopped suddenly. Replacing the battery in the clock with a new one didn't work. The balance wheel in the clock (which is visible from behind) did move for awhile but then it just stopped a few seconds later. The first thing that came to my mind was that the clock has come to its end-of-life-cycle, destined for the bin. My initial guess was that its electronic components have gone bad after 40 years.

I put it aside for a few days feeling lost. My missus did take it to a local clock shop for repairs but was told to purchase a new one instead since a new (massed produced?) clock costs about RM5 (about US$ 1.50) each in a local DIY store. I suppose the costs of labour exceeds the price of of a new clock and it is just not worth the repair man's time.

Repairs

Anyhow, my missus took it home and I, very much later, decided to have a go at it. It was destined for the bin anyway, so what could be worse. My expertise in clock repair works is nil by the way. Likewise with clock electronics. So I wasn't expecting much.

I removed its rather fragile back cover. Taking a peek, the clocks innards looks rather dusty since the back cover doesn't really seal it airtight. My first inclination was to blow them dust away, which is easy enough. But putting in a new battery only caused the balance wheel to wiggle a bit and then stopping, very much like before.

Instinct, I guess made me push the balance wheel very gently forward and backward, taking much care to not damage the rather fragile looking balance spring that is attached to it. To my surprise, the clock worked again when I reinserted the battery. And it has been running ever since.

I do not know the exact reason why this works. Perhaps the pivots at the balance staff of the balance wheel may have gone stiff because of dust accumulation over the years and my gentle push may have dislodged or loosen it.

One less item to the landfill - now that's a good thing.



0 comments:

Post a Comment