Dreamstime

Thursday 12 July 2018

My Contribution To The 2018 MY Garden Birdwatch Survey

A Pair Of Scaly-breasted Munias

The yearly MY Garden Birdwatch Survey was held this year on the 2nd and 3rd June, 2018. About 2 weeks earlier than usual when compared to previous years, as far as I could recall.

I did my counting at my home, as usual, on 2nd June 2018, time 7:30 A.M. Yes early in the morning as I was afraid I might forget. You will find my count results below.

My Bird Count Results

Bird Name Count
1. Asian Glossy Starling 2
2. Olive-backed Sunbird 0
3. Common Myna 0
4. Common Tailorbird 0
5. Eurasian Tree Sparrow 10
6. Jungle Myna 0
7. Oriental Magpie 2
8. Rock Pigeon 6
9. Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker 1
10. Spotted Dove 4
11. White-throated Kingfisher 1
12. Yellow-vented Bulbul 1
13. Zebra Dove 1



The Last 12 Months

Rather wet and cool on average is how I would describe the last 12 months. We still have our usual yearly dry season, but on the whole they were tolerable.

Some of the birding events around my neighbourhood during the last 12 months:

  • A flock of Scaly-breasted Munia (pictured above) paid me a visit in the month of November 2017. Not sure if this is their first visit as I am quite certain I have heard their calls before but failing to see any of them. A rather unique species of bird when compared to other garden birds that I am familiar with.

  • A Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker

  • Counted a Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker for the first time this year. I just can't miss it when it is around with the tik-tik-tik noise that it makes.

  • Not that many Bee-eaters sightings this year when compared to previous years.

  • Not that many Cattle Egrets too.

  • The Brahminy Kites have left the neighbourhood from what I could observe. Not sure when but I don't see they gliding around in the mornings and evenings these days.

  • Spotted and Zebra Doves population appears to be back to normal.

  • More Pigeons in my neighbour's house than mine.

  • Sightings of Pink-neck green pigeon and Lineated Barbet were quite frequent.

  • It appears that the population of the Common Myna is decreasing, according to the yearly MY Garden Birdwatch Survey results. But I seem to be seeing more of them during the last 12 months or so.

  • Yes, I know. I had complaint about them not coming round my garden before these Asian Glossy Startling. But there were so many of them towards the end of last year 2017 around my house, to the point that their loud chirps on my mango tree were getting annoying. Got a lovely silhouette picture of them on the electrical wire though. Thank you birds.

    A runaway Crested Goshawk?


  • A runaway Crested Goshawk paid me a visit in March 2018. A fugitive I think - note the shackle at its legs in the picture above. There was a pair of them but only one was at my line of sight. The other could be a female, which could probably explain why it escaped from captivity - Sex sells, remember. Enjoy your freedom bird, as you should be.




0 comments:

Post a Comment