Dreamstime

Wednesday 4 January 2017

The Lone Asian Glossy Starling

Asian Glossy Starlings On A Rambutan Tree Branch (click to enlarge)

A black coloured bird with blood-red eyes - that's the Asian Glossy Starling.

Rather common in my neighbourhood, but of late I tend to find them darting across overhead at high speed rather than perching nearby around my home. TV antennas and electrical pole appears to be their favourite places if they do come by visiting. You can always hear them when they do.

I was lucky enough to have one perching on a rambutan tree branch next to my room window last month - a great spot for getting some good photographs despite the bad lighting because of the tree canopy. Not too sure why just a single bird this time as they usually move around in a flock.


I still remember the first time when I first saw this bird. This happened quite some number of years ago, long before I started birding. There were a few of them, feasting on a ripen papaya that I had somehow overlooked.

Growing and getting female papaya trees was easy once upon a time; I used to have many papaya trees. But not anymore these days due, I believe, to the warmer weather in recent years. I wonder if this is the primary reason why the Asian Glossy Starling doesn't come round more often nowadays. No food, no bird my hypothesis.




0 comments:

Post a Comment