Dreamstime

Sunday 26 May 2019

PC Downstairs Conked

Over the last 2 months, I think the Gods must be angry with me. It's either that or the stars and planets are not align to my favour.

Health wise I haven't been doing quite well since the beginning of April 2019. Friends said I have 'vertigo' when I described my symptom to them.

Then my WiMax modem go bricked in mid-April.

And now, the computer downstairs that my children uses just died. Problems with the motherboard I was told by the store technician. And they will not fix it. Too old they say. A sound advice in my opinion. This Foxconn motherboard PC has not been reliable from the start. Two new power boxes, one new RAM module plus other various booting up issues - these are some of the problems that I have faced during the last 10 years. Summing up, I think the total cost of ownership would have been cheaper if I had bought a branded PC from a Dell, Lenovo or HP from the start. Yes, more reliable too.

Replacement

But I do not have deep pockets. So as a replacement, I think I will be getting a refurbished branded PC. And good for me, there are many to choose from, the last I checked online at Lazada and Shopee.

Lenovo looks like a good bet. A quick check online shows that a 2GB RAM, 250GB hard disk with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor costs around RM300. Based on this configuration, my guess is that they about 7 or 8 year old PCs. With this configuration, they should be good enough for doing school work. I know because I am now using one which has almost similar configuration. Well, I do not do any school work, but response is reasonable when I edit my photos, surf the web or even doing some Python programming.

This is what I am banking on with the Lenovo trademark - the IBM brand name with its infamous hardware reliability (which will cost you an arm and a leg). Yes I know Lenovo is not IBM, but technically they were at one time, until Lenovo bought over the PC business of IBM in 2005.

Does Lenovo still have some of those IBM traits imprinted within their DNA? There is only one way to find out - just go out and get one.

Now, lets see if I can get a good refurbished Lenovo PC at a fantastic price over the next couple of days.



0 comments:

Post a Comment