Dreamstime

Friday 19 July 2013

Inserting Amazon Affiliate "iframe" Ads With Scribefire

Scribefire Classic Fails With "iframe" Ads

I use Scribefire Classic (version 4.0.0.1) on Firefox (version 3.6.8) to compose my blogs. I tried inserting three Amazon affiliate "iframe" ads into my blog post last week and failed. Not only did the ads not get displayed in the Scribefire's "Rich Editing" tab, but upon publishing and accessing my blog post from Opera desktop and Opera Mini, only one ad was displayed instead of three.

When I looked at the HTML source (by selecting "source" when I right click in Opera desktop), I noticed that the "iframe" tags in my Amazon ads were modified by Scribefire upon publishing. The closing tag "</iframe>" was dropped and the opening tag was modified by making it self-terminating for each inserted ad. For example, the tag code provided by Amazon was:

<iframe src="http://rcm-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/cm?t=chustindia-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=1118232607&ref=qf_sp_asin_til&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&m=amazon&lc1=0000FF&bc1=FFFFFF&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"> </iframe>

But upon publishing to my blog, it became:

<iframe src="http://rcm-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/cm?t=chustindia-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=1118232607&ref=qf_sp_asin_til&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&m=amazon&lc1=0000FF&bc1=FFFFFF&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" / >

I do not have any problems with Amazon's text and image links ads - just the ads with "iframe" tags. Looks like there is no way in getting Scribefire Classic to insert Amazon affiliate "iframe" ads.

Scribefire Chrome Works But ...

I tried using other freely available offline blog editors and the only one that allows me to successfully publish my Amazon "iframe" ads is Scribefire Chrome , but only when publishing/updating my blog post while in the "Edit Code (HTML and Markdown)" mode. If I were to switch to "Edit Visually" mode, the

style="WIDTH: 120px; HEIGHT: 240px" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0"

parameters will get dropped/discarded and the ad will not get displayed as it was intended - a software bug obviously. Some details of the ad will be partially hidden - see picture below. We could use the scroll bar to view the rest of the ad, but this is certainly not an ideal way to display an ad in a blog post - or for any ad anywhere.

Amazon Ads With "iframe" Tags Not Displaying Correctly in Scribefire Chrome

My Work-around

Since I am not too fond of Scribefire Chrome, I think I will first compose, format and publish my blog via Scribefire Classic on Firefox, and then insert my ads via Scribefire Chrome later. I will be taking this route until I can find a better alternative.

Note: I did try using Zoundry Raven (version 1.0.375) and Deepest Sender (version 0.9.2) but they do the same thing as describe above, i.e. they will self-terminate my "iframe" tags.

Update (20th May 2015):
I do not use Scribefire anymore. I have made the switch to Zoundry Raven since 21st September 2013, and later to RavenPlus (my own customised version of Zoundry Raven). My problem with Amazon Affiliate "iframe" ads was finally fixed in RavenPlus version 1.0.504.





0 comments:

Post a Comment