Dreamstime

Sunday 30 June 2013

My Contribution To The 2013 MY Garden Birdwatch Survey

Common Garden Birds In Malaysia - Picture Taken From http://www.mygardenbirdwatch.com

Here is my contribution to the 2013 MYGB bird count (MY Garden Birdwatch) - an annual survey of garden birds in Malaysia, initiated by the birdwatching chapter of the Malaysian Nature Society. I did my bird counting of my front garden up on the first floor from my bedroom window on 15th June 2013, between 4:15pm and 4:45pm. This is the second year that I am participating in this survey. Participation is voluntary. I find that the count is more or less the same as last years. I did my count last year on 3rd June 2012 between 4:00pm and 4:30pm.

Bird Name Count
1. Asian Glossy Starling 9
2. Common Myna 2
3. Common Tailorbird 1
4. Eurasian Tree Sparrow 5
5. Oriental Magpie 3
6. Rock Pigeon 9
7. Spotted Dove 3
8. Yellow Vested Bulbul 3

Birds Not Spotted

Birds that are common in my neighbourhood but not spotted on the survey date include Asian Koel, Black-naped Oriole and White-throated Kingfisher. Asian Koel can be usually seen and heard between the month of December and April - around the time when the Chinese are celebrating Chinese New Year. The month of June is not usually the time to spot one.

White-breasted Waterhen do make a visit to my neighbourhood like once or twice a year, but they were not seen during the survey date.

What that is noticeably missing in the neighbourhood is the Common Flameback Woodpecker. I have not seen or heard one (they have a very distinctive call) for something like 5 or 6 years now.

I think I will do next years survey in the morning. If I am not mistaken, I think there are actually more birds, in terms of numbers and species, during this time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment