Dreamstime

Wednesday 2 July 2014

Setting The Language Option In Gimp 2.6.9

I really should be using the latest version of Gimp, version 2.8. But unfortunately, I do not have the bandwidth to download the installation file. Thus I have to settle with Gimp version 2.6.9, for the moment, which is about a quater of the size of version 2.8.

Upon firing up Gimp version 2.6.9 after installation, the first thing that greeted me was a flashscreen and a user interface in my local language. I would very much prefer using Gimp in English. But like I have mentioned in my previous blog post, I have a need to set my regional location to "Malaysia" as otherwise I will have problems tuning in to my local TV stations with my K-World PCI Analog TV Tuner with VirtualDub.

Here is what I did to configure my Microsoft Windows PC so that Gimp will startup in English ("en_us" in this case):

  • Open the "Control Panel". Double click on the "System" icon to display the "System Properties" dialog box;

    SystemProperties.JPG
  • Click on the "Advanced" tab and then click on the "Environment Variables" button. You should now see the "Environment Variables" dialog box;

    EnvironmentVariables.JPG

  • Click on the "New" button under the Group Box "User Variables for user" to bring up the "New User Variable" dialog box. In the field "Variable name" key in "LANG". And in the field "Variable value" key in "en_us" (or whatever language you desire). Click on "OK" to define your new variable.

    Click on the "OK" button in the "Environment Variables" dialog box in order to close this window.

    NewUserVariable.JPG
  • Restart Gimp.

    Gimp should now pickup the newly defined "LANG" environment variable and should display its user interface in the chosen language.

Now time for me to go "Grokking The GIMP" - also available from Amazon if you prefer a physical book.









0 comments:

Post a Comment