Dreamstime

Saturday 21 June 2014

My Contribution To The 2014 MY Garden Birdwatch Survey

Birds Not Spotted During Survey

This is my third year of participating in the MY Garden Birdwatch Survey. There are actually more species of birds in my neighbourhood than what my bird count shows. I know because I was keeping tab, and capturing with my digital camera sometimes, on the variety of birds since the last survey in June 2013. Hoping to get the result that best depicts the variety of birds within my neighbourhood, I counted twice this year: on 7th June 2014 between 7:45am and 8:15am, and on 8th June 2014 between 12:30pm and 1:00pm. But unfortunately the birds have other plans. They seem to come around at different hours of the day, and for some only on certain months of the year.

Below is the count that I did on 8th June 2014 which I submitted to My Garden Birdwatch as my official count. I find the results to be more or less the same as last year's.

On the count on 7th June 2014, there were actually 9 Spotted Dove - 5 adult and 4 juvenile. But the juvenille Doves were not seen the following day during the survey time.

Asian Koel was heard a day earlier but it did not make an appearance on the second count date. A bit strange this year for Asian Koel as they are normally seen and heard in the months between December and May, and hardly in June as far as I could remember.

A hooting sound of the small but colourful and beautiful Coppersmith Barbet was heard before I started the count, but unfortunately it was not to be seen anywhere during the count. But mind you, they are not easy to spot even though you can hear time - just like the Common Tailorbird.

A Black-naped Oriole only flew onto the durian tree in my garden some 10 minutes after I stopped counting.

Bird Name Count
1. Asian Glossy Starling 3
2. Common Myna 3
3. Common Tailorbird 0
4. Eurasian Tree Sparrow 6
5. Oriental Magpie 3
6. Rock Pigeon 9
7. Spotted Dove 5
8. Yellow Vested Bulbul 3

0 comments:

Post a Comment