Dreamstime

Tuesday 30 September 2014

Brown Shrikes - They Are Back

A Brown Shrike In My Front Yard

Without giving any sign, they, the Brown Shrikes, left sometime around the month of March. None was seen during my count for the MY Garden Birdwatch that I did in the month of June for both years, 2013 and 2014. But now, with winter approaching in North Asia, this migratory bird is back in the Malay peninsular.

Some local bird watchers in Malaysia have reported spotting them as early as the first week of September 2014. But I was not that lucky; I have to wait until September 22, 2014. I actually heard them first before seeing them. Their distinctive loud screeching and the chattering that they make at a quarter to 7 in the morning, while it is still quite dark outside, is a signal to me that they are back. So far, I think there are at least 3 of them in my neighbourhood.

0 comments:

Post a Comment