Dreamstime

Saturday 20 July 2019

Fixing The Power On/Off Button

I think I have to start planning for a replacement mobile device. It could either be a smartphone or a tablet. It doesn't matter which as I only use it for reading e-books and for transferring pictures from my camera to my PC - no calls.

I have already replaced the screen on my smartphone once but symptoms of pending trouble is brewing again. A dark halo has appeared on the edge of the screen, like last time, for quite sometime now. Quite clearly, some circuitry has gone bad on the phone and its not worth maintaining anymore.

And now another problem: the bit that makes up the on/off button is crumbling. In fact, trouble with this button first appeared a couple of weeks ago. Luckily at that time, I managed to find a temporary fix by using cellophane tape.

But not this time. Some plastic bit has really broken off (and is beyond repair) from the on/off button. It wouldn't have happened if I didn't open the back cover, but I have too as the phone has crashed and wouldn't start.

Temporary fix for my smartphone's on/off button

The temporary fix for the moment is to use a small piece of elastic-band (rubber-band will do too) about 1 cm in length in place of the piece that makes up the on/off button. To turn the phone on/off, I have to use my finger nail. Not perfect, looks funny but the important thing is that it works.


0 comments:

Post a Comment