Dreamstime

Saturday 13 July 2019

My Contribution To The 2019 MY Garden Birdwatch Survey

The annual MY Garden Birdwatch Survey was held this year on the 8th and 9th June, 2019. I did my counting at my home, as usual, on the morning of 8th June 2019, time 8:30 A.M. I normally do at least 2 counts and pick what I consider to be the best to better reflect the diversity of birds in my neighbourhood. But not this year though.

My Bird Count Results

Bird Name Count
1. Asian Glossy Starling 0
2. Olive-backed Sunbird 0
3. Common Myna 1
4. Common Tailorbird 1
5. Eurasian Tree Sparrow 3
6. Jungle Myna 0
7. Oriental Magpie 3
8. Rock Pigeon 7
9. Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker 1
10. Spotted Dove 0
11. White-throated Kingfisher 0
12. Yellow-vented Bulbul 1
13. Zebra Dove 2
14. Pied Fantail 1



The Last 12 Months

Some of the birding events around my neighbourhood during the last 12 months:

  • Finally, Pied Fantail is included in this year's count. Spotted a pair this morning. But I still have yet to get a decent photograph of them.

  • Witness my first Raptor migration in October 2018. Couldn't be better when this is happening right here at my backyard. Till today, I still can't believe what I saw on that day. Amazing!

  • I was taken by surprise when I first saw the picture below - a Cattle Egret pecking on a bird (it's definitely a bird and not a frog as I have another blurry picture that confirms it). Not sure if it was a juvenile but the Egret eventually gulp it down in one go.

    Cattle Egret Pecking On Bird



    Also, finally got some decent shots of them - I think I'll post them on Instagram. Cattle Egrets are not very common around my neighbourhood but they do pop in from time to time.

  • Like last year, not that many Bee-eaters.

  • Brahminy Kites, they are still around. I can still see them gliding on some mornings and evenings. But not that regular compared to 2018.

  • Spotted what I think is Chinese Pond Herons earlier this year in February.

  • Haven't seen them around my house before but there are Paddyfield Pipits at a football field about 100m away from my house. Do pay me a visit birds.




0 comments:

Post a Comment