Dreamstime

Thursday 26 December 2019

Digital Zoom On My Canon Powershot SX530 HS

Digital zoom, another item that I have added to my box of tricks. Yes I know, digital zoom on my Canon Powershot SX530 HS is useless when taking pictures. But when it comes to videos, the result could be quite satisfactory in good lighting, surprisingly. The camera must be held extremely steady though since we are focusing at greater than 50x zoom. Having a good tripod is certainly most welcome here.

It was quite by accident really when I found out about this digital zooming capabilities while taking videos with this camera. All that I wanted to do was just to have the subject 'fill the frame' actually while taking the video of a bird.

I shot this close-up 1080p resolution video of a White-throated Kingfisher at my backyard here one fine morning, singing. Upon uploading to Dreamstime, it was duly accepted within a week. I didn't spent much time post-processing the video. Just some adjustments to the colours and a little sharpening. Actually, I spent more time post-processing the audio than the video. The subject was about 30 feet away, by the way.

Here is another video that I shot at 1080p resolution of an Oriental Honey Buzzard, perched on my neighbour's roof. Lighting was not ideal on that early cloudy morning. I have to apply the denoise filter, the deghosting filter (called 'exorcist') and finally to resize it to 720p to eliminate some ugly video artifacts. A high contrast background I think that is causing the problem. You can't just have it all sometimes. But still, this video was also accepted by Dreamstime. This bird was about 90 feet away, so max 200x digital zoom here!





0 comments:

Post a Comment