Dreamstime

Friday 6 July 2012

Opera Version 11.64 On Win98

I previously wrote about upgrading my Firefox(FF) browser from v2.0.0.3 to v3.6.8 because of an "Invalid Title Value" error message that I got when I was creating a blog in Blogger.com.

I was very pleased with FF v3.6.8 after the upgrade. Compared with FF v2.0.0.3, it was very much faster and hardly crashed - only once but I think it was caused by uTorrent v1.8.1. I can login to Blogger.com, upload JPEG pictures and post updates to my blog without any problem. Neither do I have problems in viewing the other pages in Blogger.com.

But problems began to crop up after when I started to use Facebook (FB) and Nuffnang (a blog advertising company). FB pages will display but hard-disk activity will shoot up exponentially. FF response time was not only slow but the sound of hard disk activity was scary. Later, I realized that I had problems setting my Message notification level and other FB security options. Clicking on my selection does nothing. At Nuffnang, some pages will not get displayed correctly. And even if they do, clicking on certain buttons or selecting certain menu drop-down boxes yielded nothing.

Upgrading To Opera

The only option that I had was to upgrade my browser. I decided to go with Opera v11.64. With Opera v11.64 being a 2012 release, I was expecting minimum browser displays issues with most websites. It should have all the latest features incorporated into it. Besides, KernelEx Wiki says that my version of installed KernelEx, v4.5.2, supports it.

Installation was easy. Just right-click on the download file, "Opera_1164_en_Setup.exe", select the KernelEx tab and set the KernelEx compatability mode to "Windows 2000 SP4". Then double-click on "Opera_1164_en_Setup.exe" to begin the installation process.

When the installation process has completed, right-click on "C:\Program Files\Opera\opera.exe" or on the desktop icon, select the KernelEx tab and set the KernelEx compatability mode to "Windows 2000 SP4". Double-click on "Opera.exe" and launched.

And I am glad I made this upgrade. Opera browser is definitely much faster than FF. Hard-disk activity decreased substantially when I access FB. And more importantly, I did not get anymore problems with FB and Nuffnang as described above. Any slow webpage display is due to my slow dialup Internet line (at 50Kbps) or picture heavy webpages (PC has an AMD 333MHz processor with 128MB RAM). And not the fault of Opera.

Problems?

Problems with Opera? Just a few.

  1. Blogger.com does not like Opera with Turbo mode enabled. It must be turned off or the message:

    "You have logged out from another location. Do you want to log in again?"

    will be displayed. Nothing will happen if you click on "Close".
  2. I have been getting the message:

    "Your browser is no longer supported by Blogger. Some parts of Blogger will not work and you may experience problems."

    for over a couple of days now from Blogger.com. I just ignore this message. Everything seems okay to me.
  3. Opera crashed while trying to launch my Win98 installed Acrobat Reader v5. I have to do the 3-finger salute (Ctrl-Alt-Delete) and "End Task" Opera.
  4. I cannot upload my JPG files to Blogger.com. I have to rely on FF for this. I do not have problems uploading JPG files to FB.


I do not have any plug-ins installed. So I am not sure if they will work or not.

Opera v11.64 can be download from here: http://www.opera.com/browser/download/?os=windows&list=all

0 comments:

Post a Comment