Dreamstime

Friday 22 February 2019

Some Rumbling Going Round About Google Photos API

The following is from the OLW (Open Live Writer) Github support page dated Feb 13, 2019 by one danielpunkass.

Now, I haven't looked into the Google Photos term of service yet, so I am not too sure about the embedding-images bit. But judging by how Google is closing down is numerous software services over the last couple of years, it is not a bad idea, indeed prudent, to move away from the Blogger platform if your livelihood depends on it.

Have a read and see what you think. The problem with baseURL is valid, as mentioned in one of the links, by the way. It is only valid for 60 minutes after a picture upload (look under the heading 'Caching').


@JimGalasyn @jongalloway This came to my attention in response to a Twitter post I made about similar problems facing my closed-source Mac app, MarsEdit. Before you invest too much time in the Google Photos based solution, I think you should know that Google Photos seems to actively inhibit embedding images from the service, and I think I saw somebody mention that it might be against their terms of service to do so. The Blogger API advertises an album ID on the blog info for a blog, but it's a Picasa-only album ID. They don't advertise any such album to facilitate direct access to the Blogger blog's album, via Google Photos.

In short, I have determined that is not currently possible to support image uploads to Blogger with supported public-facing APIs from Google. You can read more about my situation here: https://red-sweater.com/blog/3431/the-future-of-blogger-and-marsedit

I also wrote to the Blogger Help Forum, but have not seen any encouraging response:https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/blogger/AX7KFMwaEzs;context-place=mydiscussions

I do not have the imrpession that Google values Blogger very much any longer, and particularly that they don't see it as a priority to support 3rd party clients such as Live Writer or MarsEdit.


6 comments:

  1. Oh no!!! but is only some rumbling or really you can't fix image problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just did some test.

      Sorry to say but the information returned by Google Photos API upon uploading (and then a batchCreat() followed by a mediaItemsGet())is of no use. I can upload the picture but I can never retrieve the picture's URL via any API.

      The value for 'productURL' is useless - my picture gets viewed in Google Photos and nowhere else.

      I thought I could use 'baseURL', but its value is not fixed. Today and yesterday's value for the same picture is different.

      This time, I can really say that my hands are really tied. The Google Photos API is useless to application developers.

      Delete
  2. Excuse me but I don't understand something:

    You say that you can upload the picture but not retrieve the picture's URL via any API.

    I don't understand very well this:

    When you say the picture is gets viewed in Google Photos is

    1) that is not gets viewed in Blogger

    or

    2) gets viewed in Blogger but you can't have the picture's URL for save in Raven+

    Is the answer is 2:

    I always upload too much pictures for day (sometime more than 100), so I always have to delete the xxx.store file from mediastorages 'cause is not Raven+ (and the old Raven too) take too much time to open. If I have to post again, the picture upload again

    In my case I don´t need picture's URL save in xxx.store. If only works the upload is woks for me!

    But I think that you want say that the picture is not gets viewed in Blogger. Excuse me, but I only ask for make sure that I understand the problem

    Thanks for all do you did!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing to do with the xxx.store files.

      We need the URL (the address of the image, if you will) of the uploaded picture at Google Photos so that our blog post can properly display it when viewed in a browser by anybody in the world. But there is no Google API to retrieve this URL (image address). I've tried, I can't even retrieve the picture from the Blogger online editor.

      Google Photos is more like a photo storage site, a place to backup your pictures, in my opinion.

      Delete
  3. Ah! Ok, now I understand very well.
    Thanks for your clear answer and thanks for your time working with Raven+

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why Google can't be more straight forward and not let us run around wasting our time?

      Delete