Dreamstime

Tuesday 30 April 2019

Fastening A String To My Third Party Lens Caps

When I received my recent DSLR camera purchase, I was quite disappointed when I realised that Canon only provided a standalone lens cap that comes with no attachment cord. I wonder why as after all, the lens cap from my Canon Powershot does come with one. My recent lens purchase, the Canon EF 50mm lens, comes with no attached cord either. A piece of string for attaching the lens cap to the camera strap or body, I don't think they are that expensive. They are pretty handy in preventing lens cap from going missing.

Caps From China

Luckily there are third party lens caps for sale online. And I bought two (because of the different lens sizes that I have) from two separate online merchants in China. One for my Canon EF-S 18-55mm kit lens and another for my Canon EF 50mm prime lens. The build quality is pretty good and sturdy in my opinion. No complains there. But then that attachment cords for both caps. Why can't they provide a better one rather that giving me essentially just a piece of plain old string. The worse part - the given strings is a bit insufficient at just 13" in length. I did make do for awhile by employing the "pedigree cow hitch" and "overhand loop" knots, but because of me accidentally tugging at them quite often, the "pedigree cow hitch" knot eventually came loose yesterday.

My Own String

My third-party Canon lens cap looped around the camera strap

Looking around, I came across a ball of string in my home that is of similar quality to the lens cap that came with my Canon Powershot camera. I cut a piece, measuring about 20" in length and tied two "overhand loop" knots at both ends.

The first knot is a bit smaller, enough just to slip the string through this loop and attach is securely to the lens cap.

The second knot is tied with intent so that the loop is big enough to enable the whole lens cap to slip through. With this setup I will be able to easily mount/unmount the lens cap from the camera when I change lenses that are of different diameters.

"Overhand loop" knots - I think they are quite secure, aren't they. Instructions for tying this knot can be found here.






Search and buy camera lenses at Amazon.com

(Note: An Amazon.com affilliate link)


0 comments:

Post a Comment